This is my personal blog and does not necessarily reflect the collective views of Hard Limits Press

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Facebook gets something right

Fuck yeah Facebook

I never thought I'd say this, but Facebook is awesome. Users can finally choose gender identity markers beyond Male and Female. The range of options is truly impressive. I think all trans people of all identities struggle with the lack of validation at some point in their lives and journeys. Cisgender (not trans) people get to see themselves everywhere and everything around them is made with them in mind.

Meanwhile trans people are trying to shove ourselves in to a bunch of boxes and labels that just don't fit. I even see this among ourselves, where we try to divide and exclude each other based on models of cisgender privilege as opposed to creating narratives for ourselves. Which is all a long winded way of saying that this ability to label ourselves for ourselves is a massive deal, whether the naysayers realize it or not. So thanks Facebook. I mean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment